for the 175th anniversary of the town of Hammond)
Natives first laid claim to this fertile land.
1795, gave it up to US as part of a treaty plan.
Macomb bought a big portion, to David Ogden he sold some,
sold it to a New York City merchant, Abijah Hammond.
ever having seen this area, being a bit darish,
sold almost 29,000 acres to Mr. David Parish.
he opened a small land office in Chippewa Bay.
a kind and caring man he was, so settlers used to say.
the actual first settler was from Vermont, William McNeil.
lived in a niche in the rocks - hunting and fishing was his deal.
came William Wiley, in 1812 some village land he cleared.
that more and more eager hard-working settlers appeared.
immigrants began coming in summer of 1818,
times and work in Scotland were getting fairly lean.
Parish made it easy for them to own and stock their farms.
started with log cabins & later built stone houses with charm.
Morristown and of Rossie, this town was a vital part
March 30, 1827) when Hammond got its formal start.
the county it was 20th in population, ‘twas the 21st town,
in actual size, with 160 islands to abound.
farming there were businesses of which we’ll name a few:
blacksmith shop, sawmill, tannery, hotel and taverns, too.
1844, 6 sawmills shipped lumber as far as England and West Indies.
were also 3 tanneries, 3 asheries, and the Calaboga Glass Factory.
1887 the village had a wagon shop, shoe store, hat shop and carriage
store, newspaper, a dentist, doctor, and an undertaker,
hotels, a blacksmith shop, harness, hardware and furniture stores,
clothing store, drugstore, crockery, jewelry shop, 2 groceries, need I say
of the century - sandstone quarries operated where 600 men were hired.
Manufacturing made farm implements ‘til destroyed by fire.
& steamboats carried folks & freight on St. Lawrence River &
was a milk plant and 10 factories where prize-winning cheese they did make.
in this growing town played a very important part.
Presbyterian Church began with Scottish settlers with heart.
Congregational, Methodist, Baptist, and Episcopal,
and Roman Catholic, so Hammond folks were not unspiritual.
were built throughout the town, the first in 1819.
1870, one-roomed schoolhouses numbered a grand thirteen.
1882 Hammond was the first in the county to have a graded school.
1907, a high school was built and Hammond Central in ‘52.
organizations have been active all through the years,
Hammond Plowmen to Hammond Fair, competitions with great cheers.
Eastern Stars & Masons, Oddfellows, Rebekahs & the Grange,
Department and Drama Club, quite an interesting range.
many, many summers folks from all around have come
the river or Black Lake, enjoying quiet and warmth of sun,
boating or fishing or just taking in the beautiful views,
a sunset with its deepest pinks and lightest lavender hues.
So, on this day of our town's 175th anniversary
May we all join together with great shouts of acclamation;
"Hammond is a s thriving today as it was, well, way back then.
Let's keep the enthusiastic spirit going 'til the very end!
Donna Demick, with information taken from articles
Valera Bickelhaupt, Maxine Rutherford and Alexander Allen